Guess what we are back to the jollof rice dish. The fact that the jollof rice is very versatile, means it can be prepared in different ways, quick fried (see previous jollof video), oven baked, using a slow cooker. I’m sure the list is endless.
In this post, we’ll focus on the oven baked method. This method is ideal for people who work from home, stay at home parents, students preparing for exams e.t.c.
It is a very effective method if you want to cook with little fuss and still need to get on with other things. So let’s dive right in.
Prep time: 10mins
Cooking time: 50mins – 1hr
Oven setting: 180°C electric or gas
- 3 cups –Washed Easy Cook Rice or Basmati Rice.
- 1 –Large brown onion.
- 2 – Large tomatoes on the vine or tomato sauce.
- 4 or 5 – Bay leaves ( optional).
- 1 1/2 – Red Bell Peppers ( you can add different colours of peppers to brighten it up).
- 1 – Chilli or 3/4tsp – chilli powder ( optional if you don’t want it to be hot).
- 3tsp – Tomato puree.
- Large deep oven dish (preferably ceramic).
- Bacofoil (always use the none shiny side on food surfaces).
- 8cups or 2ls – Boiled water or vegetable or chicken broth (any seasoning of your choice).
- 1tsp –Thyme.
- 1tsp –Curry.
- 2tsp –Sea Salt.
- 2 small cubes –Maggi.
- 1/2 cup –Vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven.
- Wash the rice and boil the water. Once washed gentle transfer the rich into the oven and spread evenly using a spatula.
- Add the chopped onions, tomatoes or tomato sauce, bell peppers, chilli (which is optional) and bay leaves.
- Stir the above into the rice to allow for even distribution.
- Add the thyme, curry (optional), sea salt and 1 cube of Maggi.
- Stir seasoning into the rice, peppers and tomato mix.
- added the tomato puree.
- Add the boiled water or vegetable/chicken broth to cover the top of rice.
- Add the last cube of maggi and use a spatula to mix this and the tomato puree with everything already in the pan. Add the vegetable oil, no need to mix.
- Cover the dish with foil and place in the centre of the oven, allow to cook for 50mins – 1hr. Check and taste intermittently incase you need to add more water for your desired texture.
Serve and enjoy with mixed vegetables, salad and peri-peri or barbecue chicken (see photo).
Till next time.
Enjoy your meal